Friday, September 30, 2011

My therapist has a great idea...

My recent visit to my therapist was interesting. I seemed to be focusing on breaking out of my comfort zone. I don't know about you but it's become difficult for me in recent years to take chances like I once did. I'm not talking about the life or death type of chances, I'm talking about just taking chances on doing things not knowing what the outcome may be in regards to pass or fail. The fear of failure can be devastating and keep a person from potential greatness. I am organized, detail-oriented and I like to plan things out. I like to know what lies ahead. That's not a bad thing but not necessarily always a good thing either.

My therapist asked me what I'd like to do if I had the chance. I gave her a number of things I would love to do, none of them involved bungee jumping or skydiving thank you very much :D  Most of the things on my list involve intellectual "breaking out" vs. physical. For instance she mentioned whitewater rafting and I thought "well yes that would be nice but in the end I'd just be wet and laughing from having a good time but it wouldn't be as challenging to me as I'd like."  I mean when I think of challenging I think of writing Op-Ed pieces in the New York Times or being interviewed for a History Channel Documentary, or having my own Talk Radio Program. Yeah I don't think whitewater rafting will cure what ails me.

Then my therapist brings up an interesting idea, that I should to stand-up comedy at an open mic night. Now crazy as it sounds, that would be perfect for me. Years ago I watched an episode of the Golden Girls in which Dorothy does stand-up comedy at amateur night just to check it off of her bucket list of things to do. Now I don't really have a bucket list but I think that the idea of doing  a stand-up routine is actually perfect. Oh yes, have I mentioned yet that in all the "Which Golden Girl Are You?" online quizzes I always wind up as Dorothy? Just thought I'd throw that in there. There's just something about getting in front of a group of people and making them laugh that appeals to me and it's not like I don't have any material. If you know my family or have read my blog when I've talked of them you know what I mean. I have the perfect family suitable for mocking on stage in front of a live audience and I don't even think they'd bat an eye (the family that is!). In all seriousness, what I want is to be able to impact people and actually see/hear/read it. If it means making them laugh fine. Now this idea doesn't mean I would want to do this as a career, I just think it would be pretty cool every now and then to stand in front of an audience and completely and totally embarass my family, coworkers and friends for about an hour once every few months. 

If any of you fit into those groups you're obviously already shooting off an an email to me encouraging me to take up the whitewater rafting instead, as you think it would be much more satisfying.  Don't worry, if I do get on stage I promise to change the names to protect the not-so-innocent, but goodness what great material I would have....

1 comment: