Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fox Broadcasting's "House" blunder...


My thoughts exactly!
 
Ok seriously, Fox Broadcasting made a huge faux pas last night choosing at the last minute to push the winter finale of [H]ouse, M.D. aside in favor of the Daytona 500. As Fox puts it they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to test out ratings for a prime-time sporting event on Fox. Now that's all fine and dandy to test the waters but you don't decide to do it at the last minute when millions of people are already set to watch a highly promoted episode of a still very popular television series in its final season, during February sweeps, with a one-month hiatus ahead!
  
And what's funny (well it wasn't initially) is that while House fans around the US were stuck with NASCAR, the Canadians were watching the episode on Global TV. Fortunately there's iTunes, Amazon and other outlets folks can watch the day after, but not everyone has access to those. I download my episodes through iTunes and now that I've seen it, I can't talk about it because I don't know who has seen it and who has not yet.

Before I forget, Fox has announced that the episode scheduled to air last night will air three weeks from now on March 19th. Yep. Three weeks. So those who weren't able to watch on TV last night,  haven't watched via Amazon, iTunes, Hulu or illegal means, and who by the time it airs three weeks from now, haven't accidentally read spoilers on the episode, can finally tune in and enjoy.  The phrase "that's so 27 seconds ago" seems appropriate here.

Some might ask what I would do if I had been in Fox's position. I don't know. But then again I hate NASCAR so I wouldn't have cared if they waited till today to broadcast or hell didn't broadcast it at all. Of course this morning Fox is showing unusually high ratings because of it but that's misleading because it's a once a year sporting event that was rained out. Normally the race is held during the day so this one time ratings boost means nothing unless Fox is thinking of adding NASCAR to its prime-time schedule which actually gives me a really good reason to drop Fox network from my DirectTV subscription once this season of [H]ouse, M.D. is complete.

I would definitely not want to be manning the phones in the Fox programming/scheduling department this morning.

1 comment: