Monday, July 16, 2012

My successes and my failures are all MY OWN!

As if I couldn't be any more shocked at what comes out of the mouths of this administration. Excerpts from Obama's speech to supporters in Roanoke, to support his argument that tax cuts should be extended ONLY for people earning less than $250,000 per year:

“If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there."

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” he said. “The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.”

Yes, my mom Naomi taught me to read at age three. Yes, two of my high school English teachers, one of which is Mrs. B, had enough faith in me to help me overcome the bullshit peer pressure I endured. Yes, Phyllis gave me my FIRST civilian job when I got out of the military (I love you Phyl!), Yes, one of my college professors, Diana, who is also a mentor for the past fifteen years has encouraged me to keep going in school even when I was overwhelmed with life. Yes, my pals Jenn and Deb have been there to support me with advice and encouragement when I needed a lift. A whole lot of people have been instrumental in helping me get to where I am.

How in hell does this translate into me paying higher taxes?



Where I am, I am because of the decisions I made, be they good or bad, where I am is NOT because of anyone else, just ME. That's not being selfish, that's taking responsibility for where I am at this time of my life. If I have to take responsibility for the bad, I damn sure am going to take responsibility for the good.

Obama's statement implies that every single f'in person who is successful in regards to WEALTH owes the world something.  Seriously? Hate to break it to you but WEALTH doesn't define success, not by a long shot. And just because a person earns a lot of money doesn't mean they did it on the backs of other people, chained together with a whip to encourage them.

And BTW, the President is wrong, the Government did NOT create the internet so that companies could make money off it.

Don't believe the hype, people who earn more than $250,000 per year are NOT THE BAD GUYS here. Not at all.

6 comments:

  1. Again, I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that was deep and passionate. i agree 100% with you. this tyrant needs to go ! ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/18/2012

    Just found your blog. What a great spot for debate : ).... first paragraph caught my eye -- both sides can not clearly communicate the truth because it's bad talking points for mainstream media ratings. Truth is ALL people would get the tax break for income up to 250,000. If one earns more than that they pay a different rate for income above the 250,000 limit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer for the comment! I hate the idea of being penalized for wealth, never understood the concept......in a society that tries to promote fairness it certainly is far from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7/18/2012

    I work in a tax office so let me tell you there will never be anything fair as long as our current tax code is in place.

    So let's skip to healthcare - curious your opinion. Here's mine:

    People want to repeal Obamacare - go ahead but why is it so hard for some of those same people to stay out of the ER room when they need treatment for a service they have no coverage for and will never be able to afford to pay out of pocket for the service.

    If we give them the right to get treatment, they should have the obligation/responsibility to pay for at least some of it? So, no insurance gets you a penalty - lets hope it goes toward paying the bill so the average joe isn't paying for them with his increasing premiums? Otherwise stay home and if they die as a result all hell will break loose.

    Just like the guy who didn't pay his town fee for firefighting services and then everyone stood around and watched his house burn. It's really the same thing in my book. I think both sides have an obligation.

    And no I absolutely don't want to see people die, I want them to get the treatment and suck it up that you will owe somebody something for the service!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7/24/2012

    hi Jess - one more thought on the comment you made about being penalized for wealth. In my opinion, it's not that people want to penalize those who are successful/wealthy, it's more an issue of what these folks do with their wealth that can be seen as lopsided making folks dislike them. For instance - hiring lobbyists to go out and promote the self-interest of the person/entity which they represent instead of looking at it from is this what's best for our country. People unfortunately get greedy when money comes into play and every one is in it for themselves and themselves only. I think money should be removed from all things political. And yes that tax code does favor those who have lots of it. And Citizens United is really scary..to think we can have foreigners basically buying our elections -- where is the democracy in that?

    ReplyDelete