Friday, August 24, 2012

"Law of Mass Comm" and "Cuba & Puerto Rico" will make for a fascinating semester

Well, it's fall semester and it means two significant things: First, the students are back, all 50,000 of them and second, my classes begin. I'll skip the first one since it's boring and head right to the second.

I'm taking two courses this semester. The first is Law of Mass Communications. The instructor, Clay Calvert, is a Professor and Brechner Eminent Scholar in Mass Communicationis and an expert on First Amendment law. He is the Director of the Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project. As a writer, I am very interested in First Amendment Issues. The course specifically deals with the First Amendment as it relates to free speech and freedom of the press.  The professor is intelligent, fun and quite animated, the students love him. It's going to be a great semester. Having perused the textbook, I can see we'll be covering things I've blogged about in the past so I'm really looking forward to it. 

The second course I'm taking is Cuba and Puerto Rico: 14th Century to Present. The professor of this course, Dr. Lillian Guerra has a specialty in Cuban and Caribbean History and previously taught at Harvard. She and I emailed prior to the beginning of classes and became acquainted. She's very knowledgeable in her field and it's going to be a great class. It's very interesting comparing Cuba to Puerto Rico. It's also interesting looking at the impact the United States had on both nations. Most people don't stop to think about the fact that America was founded on its stance against imperialism while once we gained our freedom, we imposed imperialist policies on others. Just a thought. Having grown up in South Miami, I had a lot of Cuban and Puerto Rican friends and so learning about the development of these two nations interests me greatly. Don't even get me started on my feelings about the embargo against Cuba.

Anyway, this should be a great semester for these are two outstanding courses I'm really looking forward to. I'm going to blog often about them and use the tag lines I've created. I hope you'll stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment