Friday, December 28, 2012

What's the real motive behind the New York Journal News publishing names and addresses of gun owners?

A newspaper in New York is releasing the names and addresses of individuals in Westchester and Putnam who have registered handguns. I have to ask myself why they're doing this. There can only be two reasons:

1) Let people know who has guns in their neighborhood so they can decide whether or not they want to remain living there or move there if they're thinking of moving.

2) Encourage residents to harass gun owners into giving up their firearms.

Now, if number one is the case, then the newspaper publisher could have done this by simply publishing the number of registered firearms in each area, even broken down by neighborhood, and names/addresses would not be necessary. Individuals could look at those numbers and decide for themselves if they want to live there.

Given that, the only logical reason becomes number two. Without directly stating that people should harass gun owners, basically, the publisher of the New York Journal is encouraging people to go after the gun owners. How long until gun owners become targets of violence in an effort to force them to get rid of their guns?

Think this can't happen?

When people in any given neighborhood find out convicted child molesters live in their neighborhood, what do they do? They don't relocate, they harass the pedophile, sometimes committing violent acts upon him or her until said person leaves the neighborhood.

When right-to-lifers publish names of abortion doctors, what happens? Radical whackjobs go after said abortion doctors, often committing violent acts until the doctors give up performing abortions or wind up dead.

We all know what happens when you put information like this into the hands of radical nutjobs. I'm just waiting for the fallout from this really stupid decision.  This my friends, is why I would avoid, at all costs, registering a firearm, even if it meant I was violating the law. Am I encouraging you to break the law? No. You do what your conscience tells you.

And before you label me, no I'm not a Conservative, nor a Republican, nor am I a member of the NRA. I'm just an American with common sense. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm an avid proponent of gun control. I'm a liberal and what this newspaper is doing is ludicrous!

    ReplyDelete