Friday, April 05, 2013

How not to sell a product...

The other day mom called a well-known company that sells medical alert systems. She wanted to inquire about obtaining one for my grandmother, who lives next door to her. After the customer service rep gave her the information, this happened:

Mom: "Well, I'd like to think about it."

Woman:
"What's there to think about? THIS IS YOUR MOTHER!"

Mom: "Uhh, excuse me but if I wanted a guilt trip, I'd get it from my mother!" Then she hung up the phone.



A short time later, mom talked to her sister, who gave her information she had obtained from a competitor. Mom called the company and spoke to the man in customer service my aunt had talked to earlier. He was polite and knowledgeable, discussed the product and service in detail with mom, and answered her many questions. Afterwards mom felt confident enough with the information that she decided to purchase it from that company. NO GUILT TRIP REQUIRED!

And here ends the lesson on how to sell...or better yet, how not to sell a product.

No comments:

Post a Comment