Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Edward Snowden. Who's the hero now?


Edward Snowden apparently isn't satisfied with talking to The Guardian. According news sources, including CNN International, in this story, Snowden is talking to the Chinese too...specifically the South China Morning Post, letting them know all about how the NSA hacks Chinese communications.

If this is true...sorry folks, all bets are off. While I hate the idea of the government spying on the American people, I also hate the idea of a government contractor stealing documents and talking about them to the foreign press. What? You mean to tell me there's not ONE media outlet in this country that would run with his story? Oh but wait....he did approach one, a big one too...but he wasn't happy when the Washington Post refused his request to publish the information he gave them within 72 hours, which as you can guess is just not enough time to fact-check. That's when he approached The Guardian. 


According to the South China Morning Post, Snowden says he's "neither a traitor nor hero. I’m an American," and that it was not his intent “to hide from justice” but to “reveal criminality.” 


Snowden also says he wants Hong Kong to decide his fate. Be careful what you wish for Edward because China's President Xi Jinping and President Obama are pretty chummy right now. 
  
In a previous blog I mentioned how Snowden claimed that he did this in the best interests of the American people but I am seriously questioning his methods here. Mind you, I have no problem with real whistle blowers...the people who risk everything to come forth and report wrongdoing and/or illegal activity. In fact, I highly encourage it! In fact, I find it incredibly honorable and courageous to risk everything to do the right thing. That said, I'm skeptical here as to Snowden's motives especially given his latest move. It just doesn't sit well with me in my gut and usually my gut instinct is right. If he'd gone to a reputable news outlet here in the States, allowed them the opportunity to do some fact-checking, then stuck around during this whole mess, I would've been way more sympathetic to his cause but right now, all I want is for him to be returned to the United States so he can face the music. 

Whether the NSA was justified or not in their actions, whether its actions are unconstitutional or not, whether any laws were broken or not is to be decided. The discussion on that has been going on for years, is going on right now and will not end any time soon and that's a good thing. We should be having this discussion. But for right now, we have a pretty serious problem on our hands. We've got a guy out there handing over US documents containing classified information to foreign governments.

No matter which side you're on in this matter, that alone should be cause for alarm.

1 comment: