Sunday, June 05, 2016

Tired of the politics already...

I am so tired of being told that not voting or voting third party is a vote for either one of the two major candidates. I'm tired of being told that I don't know what I'm doing. Trump supporters accuse me of being a leftist, Hillary supporters accuse me of being anti-woman, of being brainwashed by the right. Please! I have a brain of my own, I've been following Hillary Clinton's career since 1992. I'm no idiot. I'm not blindly following the right or the anti-Hillary media, I have my own beliefs -- about both major candidates, I don't need the media to tell me what to believe.

It's both fun and exhausting to discuss politics with friends. I'd say that most of us would lean more heavily toward the "it's exhausting" right now because let's face it, it is. This is a brutal election and I think we're all worn down at this point. I love my friends and I respect their choices even if I don't agree with them. I don't question or chastise them for supporting their candidate and I always appreciate the same courtesy. I have friends whose political beliefs vary greatly. Some support Hillary, some support Trump, others are for Bernie or other candidates and some support none of them and don't even want to vote. They all have valid reasons for their political beliefs. None of my friends is radical or extremist, they're just normal, everyday people who care about what's going on and want to see positive changes happen in this country. One thing I've noticed is that in regards to my friends who support a specific candidate, they don't seem to agree with all of that candidate's ideals but there's enough there that puts their candidate ahead of the rest.


No matter what choice we make in this election, someone is going to be upset by that choice. If we do not vote, we'll be chastised and told we have no right to complain. If we vote third party, we'll be chastised and told we have no right to complain. And if we vote for either one of the two major candidates, and the one we voted for winds up in office, we are chastised and told we  have no right to complain. No matter what we do, we're screwed. 

So, all we can do is make the best decision we can and let it go. Once it's done, it's done. And fuck what anyone has to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment